Friday, August 29, 2008

The Feeling of Being Knocked Out

28th August was D-day! I arrived at the Day Surgery Centre at 9.30am though my appointment is at 10am. Early is always better in this case and I am glad that I did cos' there were so many people waiting. So I went into the waiting area after I got myself changed to the robes and slippers. I wish I could take some pictures but I left my stuff and handphone all in the locker and handphones are not allowed unless it is for emergency. At about 10.45am, I was told to lie on the trolley bed and was pushed into the surgery. I was put on drip and the anesthesiologist came and asked me a few questions. He decided to put me on general anaesthesia although the doctor mentioned to me that I would be on local anaesthesia. Anyhow, I thought it would be better. So soon, I was put on the mask and some injections and I was totally knocked out before I even realised what had happened. Suddenly, I heard someone shouting at me saying that the operation was over. It was funny when the question I asked was if I snored! As I have sleep apnea, I tend to snore when I am not on CPAP machine. Then I heard someone telling me that I did not. I thought that was a bit weird to pop that question instead of asking about my surgery. But thereafter, I fell into sleep again. When I woke up again, being more alert, I saw the time was already 2.30pm. The first thing I wanted to do was to call Aileen who planned to accompany me home. The doctor came to review me and everything seemed well. I could feel the pain at the site and very uncomfortable. Nevertheless, it was still bearable for me. I was served with milo and some biscuits since I had not eaten the whole time since last night. After contacting Aileen, I spent another two hours dozing while waiting for Aileen and the nurse to review me again.


Flowers from Aileen

So at about 4pm, Aileen helped me to collect the medicine and I was out of the surgery centre only at about 5 pm plus. It was really nice of Aileen to buy me some flowers. And I am very appreciative of her kindness to help me. Here I am typing this, I just woke up from that drowsiness and I could still feel it. The pain is still around. I am going back to sleep again... Really tiring!

No comments: