Monday, October 30, 2006

CONFESSIONAL MEMOIR

Started on a new book, RUNNING WITH SCISSORS by AUGUSTEN BURROUGHS. It is a true story of a boy whose mother gave him away to be raised by her psychiatrist. The doctor himself has a bizarre family and a neighbour who is a pedophile. His childhood was completed with challenging events that brought him through the search of his own identity and sexuality. So far, I find the book has a degree of dark humour. The story starts with the title of the first chapter, SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT, with the first line, MY MOTHER IS STANDING IN FRONT OF THE BATHROOM MIRROR SMELLING POLISHED AND READY... Read between lines for more comprehension. Whenever I read the book, somehow, my mind always flickers with images and similarities of people around me who might have been through this. I let my imagination runs wild. The writer has also other works and the latest is POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS. Chronologically, the writings evolve around his earlier books like DRY and MAGICAL THINKING until this.

No comments: